MetFlex & Chill Episode 29: Objective Eating w/ Aaron Straker
This week I had the opportunity to be a guest on the Metflex & Chill podcast hosted by Rachel Gregory. In this episode, we talk about Objective Eating, the efficacy of tracking data, and setting realistic expectations to match your lifestyle.
What was really cool about my conversation with Rachel is that we typically would have different approaches to nutrition in working with our clients. Rachel is big proponent of the Ketogenic diet and living a lower carbohydrate lifestyle while traditionally I am more of the exact opposite. That being said we had a really great, open, honest conversation about being pragmatic, similarities, common grounds, and using the most appropriate tool for the job.
I had a lot of fun being on Rachel's podcast. I hope you enjoy this one!
- [2:00] CrossFit and low-carb paleo burnout
- [3:00] After a ruptured Achilles tendon, Aaron realized that CrossFit no longer led him towards accomplishing his goals
- [6:00] The concept of Objective Eating
- [11:30] Whole food vs. flexible food ratios
- [12:30] “You don't want to create a structure that is so rigid that you can’t live your life and be consistent with it.”
- [13:30] The Twinkie diet and losing weight unhealthily
- [14:00] Nutrition labels are not 100% accurate...
- [16:00] The Priority/Progress matrix and making progress in different stages of life
- [19:00] Aaron’s personal fitness and nutrition coaching strategies
- [21:30] Tracking and recording data is a key element to achieving both fitness and nutrition goals - even if you aren’t tracking your weight daily
- [30:30] Aaron’s transition into personal coaching and working with Jason Theobald
- [31:30] Family history of Type 2 Diabetes and getting bloodwork done while transitioning to Keto
- [35:30] The signs and symptoms Aaron experienced to tell him that he was becoming insulin resistant
- [38:00] the Dawn Phenomenon
- [39:30] “I look at food and nutrition differently. I think of myself as one big science experiment… my interests go much deeper than looking good”
- [45:00] Meal plans can work in the short-term… but it’s not realistic to think you will eat on a meal plan forever
- [52:00] Lyle McDonald - the Flexible Diet and The Woman’s Book: Volume 1
- [53:00] The Cortisol Connection
- [56:30] Re-evaluating fitness routines and adapting to your environment